Wednesday, May 6, 2009

For the love of Jeff, has it really been since christmas since I posted last? Unreal. Anyway, here's some of the stuff that's happened since then for those of you I haven't talked to in a while...

- After careful consideration, Rosie and I have moved from Brisbane back to Byron Bay. We did this for several reasons:

First, Rose decided that she wanted to finish the art degree that she had started many years ago in Sydney. Fortunately, there is a great University not far from Byron that is highly regarded and has a great art program. Rosie is once again studying visual arts at Southern Cross University and she is excelling past either of our expectations. I'm so proud of her. You'll hopefully be seeing some of her work soon.

Second, we felt we were ready for a change. Living in Brisbane was great because for the first time, we got to experience what life was like when we were together all the time - which is something that wasn't possible when I was in comeback kid. In that regard, living in Brisbane was a complete success. Our apartment was great, our neighborhood was the perfect place for a young couple to live, we had a small, but lovely group of friends, etc. However, it was a costly place to live and we both felt like we weren't making progress towards future goals. We both hated our jobs and felt like we were just treading water. Now however, being in Byron is helping us to save money and to put effort into things that will solidify our future together.

Third, all of our friends were moving away and Byron was a solid base for us. We have Rosie's family, friends, and familiarity here. Basically, Byron is home.

Fourth, for the love of Jeff, if i'm living in Australia, i want to KNOW that I live in Australia. I want to go to the beach, go for a surf and a snorkel, go hiking, see palm trees, see wildlife around every corner, etc. I did not experience many of those aforementioned things living in Brisbane. I might as well have been living in Tampa or some chicken shit bull shit.

Fifth, The Gordon Family avocado trees

Alright! What elese...

- I have been composing for a film that will be released this Winter/American Summer. It's a documentary about Rosie's brother's very successful band Parkway Drive. The band decided a while back to create a documentary about the history of the band and of them being born of the Byron Bay scene. Like everything else the band does, they are creating it themselves. I think it's so rad that the band takes such a hands on approach to everything that concerns them. Everything they've achieved, they've done on their own terms and with a strong work ethic. So it's very fitting that they are making this movie on their own. It's also very fitting that the movie about the band that formed in the basement of 30 Parkway Drive, is also being made in that same basement at 30 Parkway Drive. It's been really exciting to be a part of it. While Ben (rosie's brother and drummer of Parkway Drive) is editing the movie in the basement, i'm upstairs composing the music for it. So it's very much a movie concerning all things Parkway Drive. I'm very honored to be a part of the film. There will be a trailer up shortly and the movie will be released August 7th, so keep an eye out.

- To pay the bills whilst working on music projects, i've been working at the Fig Tree Restaurant in Ewingsdale, literally a 10 minute walk down the road from our place. It sits on top of a hill that looks out over all of Byron Bay. Check it out.



Not a bad place to work. For the first time since i've lived here, I actually enjoy my job. Good times.

- I have sent away all of the documents and paid all of the fees I needed and now i'm waiting to officially be a Australian Resident. I already have a medicare card, so now I can get free healthcare, but becoming a resident will allow me vote, go to school, get a license, work as little or as much as I want, adopt a kangaroo, kiss a snake, and even become mayor of murwillumbah, or hell even yerongapilly or mullumbimby.

- I have been surfing more and more and have been getting pretty good for a midwestern boy. For some reason, it comes really natural to me. I love it for the same reasons i love playing live music. I find when I play live music - I feel nothing - which is a wonderful thing. I spend so much of my time everyday being aware of things, contemplating actions, choices, words, emotions. Sometimes I feel like a slave to my emotions and anxieties. But when I perform music live, it's almost like I blackout for a little while and I just release myself, let the music take hold of me and let it do to me what it will. Then when it's over, i think "whoa..where was I? What happened?" For a short perios of time, I had no thoughts, no worries, no feelings, no questions, nothing.

I experience the same phenomena wen surfing. When I'm out in the ocean, sitting on the board - i'm still contemplating things, but great things. I'm feeling the water, watching for the sets of waves rolling in, trying to decided if i'm in the best position and then what wave will I choose. And then when I decide, I'm gone. I blackout. And after I've just spent time floating on top of water i think, "whoa...what just happened." I don't remember much, but I do remember that for a short period of time, I felt nothing. It's a wonderful thing.

- This season of LOST is the best yet. What a wonderful show.

- I actually like vegemite now - unreal.


Anyway, that's about all for now. I'm coming home in June, which I cannot wait for. So friends, if you're around in June - get a hold of me and let's hang!

Later dudes.

6 comments:

billy hamilton said...

Kev!
Great to finally hear an update!

Hopefully you'll still be in MPLS on july 1st because we have a show there that day!
Bummed we didn't get a hang in while I was in brisbane, but hopefully we'll be back in aus before the end of the year.

Miss you man!

No One said...

Fuck Kev! That post made me miss Byron!
Ive gotta get up there soon.
You will know when it is.
Siked to see "The DVD"! hahaha

No One said...

First weekend of June!
Told you id be up soon! haha

This Boys Life said...

Bloke! Dammit, I'm taking a trip back home in June so i'll be gone when you're up here. Come back in July, son.

Anonymous said...

高雄旅遊墾丁旅遊
阿里山旅遊台東旅遊
清境旅遊包車旅遊
高雄一日遊墾丁一日遊
台南一日遊∣觀子嶺旅遊
高雄墾丁WISH計程車(七人座)高雄租車九人座
機場接送一日遊

Anonymous said...

雙眼皮 新彩整形

大陸新娘 高雄租車

中秋禮盒 肉毒桿菌

瑜珈教室 高雄旅遊

保健食品 乳酪蛋糕

台中住宿 墾丁旅遊

整形外科 首頁科技

電波拉皮 歐化廚具

外籍新娘 果凍矽膠

流行服飾 室內設計

汽車旅館 日光花園

法拍屋 隔熱紙

保健食品 乳酪蛋糕

流行服飾 室內設計

汽車旅館 日光花園

法拍屋 隔熱紙

台中住宿 墾丁旅遊

整形外科 首頁科技

電波拉皮 歐化廚具

外籍新娘 果凍矽膠