Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas Dammit!

Hello friends and family!

Just wanted to drop everyone a quick hello and say Merry Christmas to all!

It sure is weird being in a tropical environment for the holidays. I've been going back and forth with feelings of happiness for a new kind of Christmas and sadness and yearning for the Christmas i've had at home for every 27 years of my life. On the one hand there's the positives of being away from the cold, new traditions, new family, etc. I mean, I woke up on Christmas eve and Rosie and I promptly went out into the sun and heat and went snorkeling. I even saw a jellyfish! That's a pretty rad Christmas eve. But on the other hand - no snow, no cold, no Sinatra Christmas songs, no Christmas eve mass at the Basilica in Minneapolis, etc. - it just doesn't feel right. I guess Australia is the best place to be for Christmas if i'm not going to be home, simply because it doesn't feel like Christmas. If I were somewhere else in America, or somewhere in the Northern hemisphere where it's cold and Christmas is a bigger deal, I think it would put me in that holiday spirit and make me wish so badly that I was home. But since there's none of the usual Christmas things i'm used to - I don't really notice that it's Christmas and therefor don't yearn for home.

Anyway, Christmas has been pretty rad so far. Rosie and I opened the gifts we recieved from my family (the Poo-Lar bear was especially fantastic -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7aOqWkhYig) and each other and we recieved some prettty rad gear. Now we're just busy cooking up Christmas dinner ("dinner" means "lunch" over here) and then we're off to see the rest of the Gordon family. Good times.

Here are some photos of the Holiday season here in Byron Bay. Enjoy! Merry Christmas!

Photos -
1. Kevin and Ray go for a surf on Festivus.
2. The tree with presents
3. A special Christmas friend.
4. Tree hunting. Rosie and I found a tree out the front of her house. A rite of passage - I finally hunted and cut down my own tree. My old man would be proud.





No comments: